Mika (pronounced Meeka) Denny is a Southern California based figurative artist. She was awarded a 4-year scholarship from the Festival of Arts in Laguna Beach, California to pursue a creative arts degree. After a successful, decades-long career in graphic design, Mika launched on a journey of creative exploration delving into painting, ceramics and crafting. In 2018, she found her place and rediscovered her true love of drawing figurative art and is now focusing on that exclusively.
Her portrait drawings capture emotion and dramatic light leaving the viewer wanting to know the story behind the subject. She creates her drawings with Pan Pastel and charcoal pencil on toned paper. Her work leans toward realism in its style, but her approach retains an expressive aesthetic that breathes life into her subjects.
"I can't remember a time when I didn't love to draw. It's ingrained in my soul. Although I consider myself a creative explorer, for the past five years, I have been exclusively focused on figurative art. My portraits lean towards realism but when I am up close creating the work it feels abstract to me. All these small shapes and marks blend together to make my portraits come to life; and yet I don't want them to look hyper realistic. I want the viewer to know it's art and not a photo. I strive to represent diversity in my art and seek subjects that are unique and represent all facets of humankind. I want my portraits to inspire a desire for human connection and comprehension."
• Bachelor of Arts Degree in Graphic Design with additional emphasis in Photography and Illustration, California State University, Fullerton, California
• 4 year college scholarship from the Laguna Beach Festival of Arts Foundation, administered by the Glenn E. Vedder Scholarship Committee, Laguna Beach, California
affiliations & memberships
• American Women Artists : Associate Artist with Distinction
• Portrait Society of America Member
• California Art Club : Associate Artist
• Anaheim Art Association
• Tustin Art League : Masters Category
• Kara Bullock Art School : Instructor